I’ve always been a fan of peaches and cream, and recently, I decided to try my hand at making a peaches and cream cake from scratch. This delightful dessert combines the sweet and juicy taste of peaches with a rich and creamy cake base, making it the perfect indulgence for a summer gathering or in fact, any event.
To make this mouthwatering treat, I researched various recipes and combined my favorite elements to create the ultimate peaches and cream cake. With each bite, you can taste the perfect harmony of fresh peaches, moist cake, and a decadent cream cheese topping. This cake is not only delicious but also quite simple to make, and today, I want to share my experience and tips for baking this scrumptious dessert.
Recipe for a Mouthwatering Peaches and Cream Cake from Scratch
One of my favorite summer flavor combinations is peaches and cream. This cake combines those two tastes with a scrumptious cake that is made from scratch. To start off, gather the following ingredients for the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the peaches and topping, you’ll need:
- 2—3 fresh peaches, pitted and diced
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
Preparing the cake is easy:
- Preheat your oven to 35 0°F (175 °C) and prepare two 8-inch round cake pans by greasing them with baking spray or butter and lining the bottoms with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt for the dry ingredients.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to cream the granulated sugar, melted butter, and vanilla extract together until light and fluffy.
- Next, add the eggs one at a time, ensuring each is well combined before adding the next egg.
- Now, alternate adding the dry ingredients and milk to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. This will create a smooth cake batter.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans and spread it out using a spatula.
- Bake the cakes in the preheated oven for 25—30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cakes are cooling, prepare the peaches and cream topping: In a medium bowl, use your hand mixer to combine the softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture to create a light, creamy frosting.
- Once the cakes have cooled, spread a layer of the cream cheese frosting on top of one cake, then add a layer of diced peaches.
- Place the second cake on top and repeat the process, frosting the top and adding the remaining peaches.
- Chill the cake for 2 hours before serving.
Tips for Baking the Cake
When making a peaches and cream cake from scratch, the first step is always to prepare all the ingredients and tools needed. In my experience, a well-organized kitchen helps me create a delicious and presentable cake. I start by gathering my peach cake recipe and all the ingredients such as peaches, milk, and flour. I also ensure I have the right baking pan or cake pan that allows the cake to cook evenly.
Before I start mixing the ingredients, I preheat my oven to the recommended temperature, usually around 350 °F (175 °C). I believe it is essential for the oven to be at the correct temperature from the start to ensure even baking. While waiting for the oven to heat up, I grease my cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper to prevent sticking.
With everything ready, I combine the ingredients specified in my peach cake recipe in separate mixing bowls. Using an electric mixer with paddle attachment, I mix the dry ingredients on low speed and gradually increase to medium speed. Remembering not to overmix the batter, I incorporate the wet ingredients. Mixing at an appropriate speed ensures that the cake is light and fluffy once baked.
As for the baking time, following the peach cake recipe’s guidelines, I usually let the cake bake for around 25-30 minutes, depending on the prep time and whether I’m baking a sheet cake or a multi-layer cake. Once the cakes reach a nice golden brown color and pass the toothpick test, I let them cool down before adding the cream layer.
As you can see, baking a peaches and cream cake from scratch is an easy and delightful experience. Remember to follow the recipe, use the right tools, and give the cake your full attention to create a delicious and beautiful dessert.
Tips for Assembling the Cake
First, I prepare the cream cheese layer by combining cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract in a large bowl and mixing them until smooth and fluffy. I set this aside while I whip the cream.
With the cake layers cooled, I start assembling the peaches and cream cake. I first place a cake layer on my serving platter and spread a layer of the cream cheese topping over it. Then, I arrange a layer of the diced peaches on top. I repeat these steps with the remaining cake layer, making sure to refrigerate the cake for a short period between each addition to maintain its structure.
Once all the layers are assembled, I coat the entire cake with a thin layer of the whipped cream cheese topping, then use a piping tip to create a beautiful border around the edge of the cake. This not only adds a lovely decorative touch but also locks in the delicious moisture of the peaches.
To finish, I place the cake in an airtight container and refrigerate it for a few hours to allow the flavors to meld together and the cake to set. This peaches and cream cake is not only reminiscent of a classic peach cobbler but also features a unique cream cheese layer that makes it the perfect summer dessert.
Serving the Cake
Before cutting into the cake, I recommend giving it some time to set and chill in the refrigerator. This will help the flavors meld together, making for an even better peaches and cream experience.
To make it easier to serve, I line my baking pan with parchment paper before assembling the cake, allowing me to easily lift it out and transfer it to a serving dish. To ensure a clean cut, I like to use a serrated knife and wipe it clean between each slice.
Once the cake is sliced and plated, I usually serve it alongside a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream for an extra satisfying summer dessert.
When storing any leftovers, I place them in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. This flavorful and decadent peaches and cream cake is sure to be a hit at any gathering, and I’m always excited to share my creation with others. While there are multiple ways to make a peach cake, I find that this peach cake recipe truly showcases the delightful fruity flavor and creaminess of this classic dessert combination.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a peaches and cream layer cake?
A peaches and cream layer cake is a delicious dessert featuring layers of moist cake filled with fresh or canned peaches and a light, creamy frosting. It’s perfect for summer gatherings or any occasion when you want a fruit-flavored cake. My favorite recipe for this type of cake can be found here.
How to create a peach dump cake?
Creating a peach dump cake is a simple and easy process. You start by spreading canned or fresh peaches in a greased baking dish. Then, sprinkle a box of yellow cake mix over the top of the peaches, followed by small pieces of butter scattered across the cake mix. Finally, bake the dump cake in the oven until it’s golden brown and bubbly.
How to use cake mix in recipe?
To use cake mix in a recipe, follow the instructions on the box, which typically involve combining the mix with water, oil, and eggs. However, feel free to make creative substitutions or additions, such as replacing canned peaches’ syrup with water or adding fruit to the batter, like in this Easy Peach Cake recipe.
What is a peach bundt cake?
A peach bundt cake is a flavorful and moist cake baked in a distinctive, round bundt pan with a hole in the center. The cake usually incorporates peach puree or chopped peaches in the batter and is topped with a glaze or powdered sugar.
How to incorporate vanilla pudding?
Incorporating vanilla pudding into your cake recipe can result in a moist, flavorful cake with a tender crumb. One method is to use a non-instant vanilla pudding mix as a dry ingredient in your recipe, like in this peaches and cream cake recipe. Alternatively, you can prepare the instant pudding according to the package instructions and fold it into the batter or use it as a filling between cake layers.