Blueberries and Cream Oatmeal Bars are a delicious and nutritious treat that can be enjoyed any time of the day. These bars are made with a combination of oats, flour, sugar, and butter for a crunchy and buttery crust. The filling is made with blueberries and cream cheese, which gives it a creamy and tangy taste that complements the sweetness of the crust.
I love making these scrumptious bars because they are so easy to make and require only a few ingredients that I usually have on hand (frozen blueberries are fine). These bars are perfect for a quick breakfast or snack and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week. I also like to make a large batch and freeze them for later use.
Blueberries are known for their high antioxidant content and are considered to be a superfood. They are low in calories and high in fiber, making them a great addition to any diet. The oats used in this recipe are also a great source of fiber and can help lower cholesterol levels.
What are these Blueberries and Cream Oatmeal Bars About?
I recently got an idea for a recipe for Blueberries and Cream Oatmeal Bars and decided to develop it and give it a try. These bars are a delicious combination of sweet and tangy flavors, with a creamy filling and a buttery oat crumble on the bottom and top. They make for a perfect dessert or breakfast treat.
The recipe calls for a few key ingredients, including blueberries, cream cheese, and oatmeal. Blueberries are a great source of antioxidants and are known for their anti-inflammatory properties. They add a burst of flavor to the bars and provide a nice contrast to the cream cheese filling — both flavorwise and colorwise.
Cream cheese is the star of the filling and adds a rich and creamy texture to the bars. It is combined with sugar and eggs to create a smooth and delicious filling that pairs perfectly with the blueberries.
Oatmeal is used to create the crust and topping of the bars. It adds a nutty flavor and a chewy texture to the bars, while also providing a good source of fiber and protein. The crust and topping are made with a mixture of oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter, which are combined to create a delicious oatmeal crumble bar. I love the taste of oat!
Health Benefits of Oatmeal
As someone who enjoys a bowl of oatmeal in the morning, I am pleased to report that oatmeal has numerous health benefits. Here are a few:
One-half cup of rolled oats cooked in a cup of water has 165 calories, 4 grams of fiber, and 6 grams of protein. The fiber and protein content contribute to feeling full longer, leading to fewer calories consumed throughout the day.
Oatmeal contains a type of soluble fiber called beta-glucan, which has been shown to lower cholesterol levels. Beta-glucan forms a gel-like substance in the digestive system, which binds to cholesterol and helps remove it from the body.
The fiber in oatmeal also helps regulate digestion and prevent constipation. It feeds the beneficial bacteria in the gut, promoting a healthy digestive system.
Stable Blood Sugar
The beta-glucan in oatmeal also helps regulate blood sugar levels. It slows down the absorption of carbohydrates, leading to a slower and more stable release of glucose into the bloodstream.
Oatmeal contains antioxidants called avenanthramides, which have been shown to improve heart health. They help reduce inflammation and prevent the buildup of plaque in the arteries, reducing the risk of heart disease.
As a conclusion, oatmeal is a nutritious and satisfying breakfast option that can provide numerous health benefits. Incorporating oatmeal into your diet can help with weight management, lower cholesterol, improve digestion, stabilize blood sugar, and promote heart health.
Health Benefits of Blueberries
Blueberries are a delicious and nutritious fruit that offer a wide range of health benefits. In this section, I will reveal some of the most significant health benefits of blueberries.
High in Antioxidants
Blueberries are a rich source of antioxidants, which are compounds that help protect your body against damage from free radicals. Free radicals are unstable molecules that can cause damage to cells and DNA, leading to inflammation, aging, and chronic diseases like cancer. Blueberries contain a variety of antioxidants, including anthocyanins, flavonols, and resveratrol, which have been shown to have powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties.
May Improve Heart Health
Eating blueberries may help improve heart health by reducing the risk of heart disease. Blueberries are rich in flavonoids, which are compounds that have been shown to improve blood pressure, reduce inflammation, and improve the function of blood vessels. In addition, studies have found that eating blueberries can help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol levels, which is a major risk factor for heart disease.
May Improve Brain Function
Blueberries are often referred to as “brain food” because they contain compounds that can help improve brain function. Studies have found that eating blueberries can improve memory, cognitive function, and mood in both children and adults. The antioxidants in blueberries may also help protect the brain against oxidative stress, which can contribute to age-related cognitive decline.
May Help Control Blood Sugar
Blueberries may also be helpful for people with diabetes or those at risk of developing the disease. Studies have found that eating blueberries can help improve insulin sensitivity and lower blood sugar levels, which is important for managing diabetes. In addition, blueberries are a low-glycemic-index food, which means they are less likely to cause spikes in blood sugar levels.
As you can see, blueberries are delicious and nutritious berries that offer a wide range of health benefits. Whether you eat them fresh, frozen, or in recipes like blueberries and cream oatmeal bars, incorporating blueberries into your diet is a great way to support your overall health and well-being.
Mouthwatering Blueberries and Cream Oatmeal Bar Recipe
I am excited to share with you my favorite Blueberries and Cream Oatmeal Bar recipe. These bars are sweet, tangy, and creamy, making them a perfect snack or breakfast option. Plus, they are incredibly easy to make with simple ingredients that you can find at any grocery store.
Ingredients for the Crust
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup melted butter
Ingredients for the Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries (or frozen and thawed blueberries)
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (175 °C).
- Line a 9×13 inch baking pan with non-stick aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, mix together oats, all-purpose flour, light brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom.
- Next, add melted butter to the dry ingredients and mix until everything is evenly moistened.
- Press half of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
- Now it’s time to make the blueberry cream filling: In a separate bowl, beat cream cheese, white sugar, egg, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Gently fold in fresh blueberries.
- Spread the blueberry cream filling over the oat mixture in the baking pan, then sprinkle the remaining oat mixture on top.
- Bake for 35—40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the filling is set.
- Let the bars cool completely before slicing them into squares.
- These blueberries and cream oatmeal bars can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to a week.
I hope you enjoy making and eating these mouthwatering blueberries and cream oatmeal bars as much as I do. They are sure to become your favorite!
By the way, make sure to check our my other blueberry recipes!
When it comes to serving Blueberries and Cream Oatmeal Bars, there are many options to choose from. Here are a few of my favorite serving suggestions:
- Serve them cool: These bars taste great especially in the summer when they are served cold. After baking, let them cool on a wire rack for a few minutes, then transfer them to the refrigerator to chill for at least an hour. This will help them set and become firm, which makes them easier to cut and serve.
- Cut them into bars: Once the bars are chilled, it’s time to cut them into individual servings. Use a sharp knife and a cutting board to cut them into squares or rectangles. You can make them as big or as small as you like, depending on your preference. For me, this recipe makes 16 servings.
- Pair them with ice cream: Blueberries and Cream Oatmeal Bars bars taste delicious on their own, but they are even better when paired with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The creamy texture of the ice cream complements the chewy texture of the bars, while the sweetness of the ice cream balances out the tartness of the blueberries.
- Serve them at a party: These bars are great for entertaining, as they can be made ahead of time and served at room temperature. Cut them into bite-sized pieces and arrange them on a platter for guests to enjoy.
Storing and Freezing
When it comes to storing and freezing these bars, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure that they stay fresh and delicious.
Firstly, if you plan on eating the bars within a few days, storing them in an airtight container in the refrigerator is the best way to keep them fresh. This will help to prevent the bars from drying out and becoming stale.
However, if you have made a large batch of bars (like I do) and want to keep them for longer, freezing is a great option. To freeze the bars, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place them in an airtight container or freezer bag. This will help to prevent freezer burn and keep the bars fresh for up to three months.
It is important to note that the bars may lose some of their texture and flavor when frozen, so it is best to consume them within a few weeks of freezing for optimal taste and texture.
Additional Tips and Variations
When it comes to making Blueberries and Cream Oat Bars, there are a few tips and variations that can help you achieve the perfect texture and flavor. Here are a few ideas to consider:
- Experiment with different types of oats: While the recipe calls for old-fashioned oats, you can also use instant oats or quick oats if that’s what you have on hand. Just keep in mind that the texture may vary slightly and old-fashioned oats are the best.
- Add a pinch of salt: A small pinch of salt can help balance out the sweetness of the bars and enhance the flavor of the blueberries. Don’t skip this step!
- Try different flours: If you don’t have all-purpose flour, you can use whole wheat flour or a gluten-free flour blend instead. Just keep in mind that the texture and flavor may be slightly different.
- Make a tangy filling: To make the cream filling even tangier, try replacing 2 oz of the cream cheese with thick Greek yogurt. This will give the bars a tangy, creamy flavor that pairs perfectly with the sweet blueberries.
- Make coarse crumbs: To achieve a crumbly, crunchy texture on top of the bars, use cold butter and pulse the mixture in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. This will ensure that the topping stays crisp and doesn’t melt into the bars.
- Leave out the crumbled topping: For a beautiful blueberry topping, use all the dough for the crust and top with the blueberry filling. Top with piped whipped cream for a pretty presentation (photo above).
- Add vanilla: For an extra boost of flavor, try adding a teaspoon of vanilla extract also to the oat mixture. This will give the bars a warm, sweet flavor that pairs perfectly with the blueberries.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I add blueberries to my oatmeal?
Yes, you can add blueberries to your oatmeal for a delicious and nutritious breakfast. As you can read above, blueberries are packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that can help boost your immune system and improve your overall health.
What are the ingredients needed to make Blueberries and Cream Oatmeal Bars?
To make Blueberries and Cream Oatmeal Bars, you will need the following ingredients: old-fasioned oats, all-purpose flour, light brown sugar, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, ground cardamom, and melted butter for the crust.
For the filling, you’ll need softened cream cheese, white granulated sugar, large egg, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla extract, and fresh blueberries (or frozen and thawed blueberries).
How long do Blueberries and Cream Oatmeal Bars last?
Blueberries and Cream Oatmeal Bars can last for up to 5 days when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can also freeze them for up to 2 months.
Can you freeze Blueberries and Cream Oatmeal Bars?
Yes, you can freeze Blueberries and Cream Oatmeal Bars for up to 2 months. To freeze, wrap the bars tightly in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer-safe container.
What is the nutritional value of Blueberries and Cream Oatmeal Bars?
The nutritional value of Blueberries and Cream Oatmeal Bars will depend on the ingredients used and the serving size. However, on average, each bar contains around 200—250 calories, 10—15 grams of fat, 20—30 grams of carbohydrates, and 4—5 grams of protein.
Can you substitute blueberries with other fruits or berries in the recipe?
Yes, you can substitute blueberries with other fruits or berries in the recipe. Some good options include strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, or a combination of different fruits.
Can a you make a dairy-free version of these bars?
Yes, you can make a dairy-free version of these bars by substituting the cream cheese with a dairy-free cream cheese alternative and using vegan butter instead of regular butter.