Imagine a dessert that combines the sweetness of fresh strawberries, the lightness of a fluffy cake, and the irresistible crunch of a unique coating. Say hello to Strawberry Crunch Cake land!
This delightful dessert is a surefire hit at any gathering, and the best part is that it’s easy to make. Bursting with the flavor of fresh strawberries and coated with a crunchy layer, this cake will win the hearts of everyone who tries it.
In this step-by-step guide, I’ll walk you through creating a mouthwatering Strawberry Crunch Cake that will leave your friends and family asking for more.
How to Make a Strawberry Crunch Cake
Gathering the ingredients is the first stage in making Strawberry Crunch Cake.
1. Gather Your Ingredients
The following are the things you’ll need to make this delicious treat:
- 1 box (15.25 oz) white cake mix
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil or melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup water
- 3 large eggs
- 1 pound of fresh strawberries cut in half (large ones in quarter)
- 1 (8-ounce) box of softened cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 thawed tub of whipped topping (8 ounces)
- 20 Golden Oreos
- 1 cup freeze-dried strawberries
2. Prepare the Batter
1. Preheat the oven to 350 °F (175 °C).
2. Grease two 9-inch round cake pans with unsalted butter. Set up the bases by lining them with parchment paper.
3. Get out a big bowl and whisk the cake mix, oil (or melted unsalted butter), water, and eggs together in there.
4. Stir until smooth, then fold in the fresh strawberries.
5. Divide the batter and pour it evenly into the prepared cake pans.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes. If you stick a toothpick in the center, it should come out clean.
7. Let the cakes cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove them from the pan and let cool to room temperature.
3. Make the Frosting
1. To smooth the cream cheese, place it in a medium bowl and beat with an electric mixer with a medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
2. While beating, gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
3. After the cream cheese mixture reaches the right consistency, gently fold in the whipped topping.
4. Assemble and Decorate the Strawberry Cake
1. Spread a thick layer of frosting over one strawberry cake layer and set the cake on a serving platter
2. Add the second strawberry cake layer and apply frosting all over the cake.
3. Crush the Golden Oreos in a food processor.
4. Crush also the freeze-dried strawberries separately in a food processor.
5. Mix the crushed Golden Oreos and freeze-dried strawberries together to create the crunch coating.
6. Press the crunch mixture onto the frosting, covering the entire cake.
Serving Suggestions and Variations
1. Serving Ideas
To elevate your presentation, consider these serving suggestions:
- Top the cake with whole or sliced fresh strawberries.
- Drizzle the cake with a strawberry glaze or syrup for added flavor.
- To add a touch of elegance to your cake service, serve with whipped heavy cream or vanilla ice cream.
Customize your Strawberry Crunch Cake with these creative variations:
- If you want to amp up the strawberry flavor even more, spread some strawberry jam or preserves in between the cake layers.
- Instead of whipped topping, use 8 ounces heavy cream that you whip with an electric mixer or with a stand mixer with paddle attachment.
- Use chocolate or vanilla Oreos instead of Golden Oreos for a different taste and appearance.
- Instead of Oreos, use strawberry shortcake crumble made by crushing strawberry shortcakes in a food processor.
- For a sweeter crunch, mix 1/4 cup granulated sugar in the crunch topping.
- For a zesty, citrusy edge, try adding some lemon or orange zest to the cake or frosting.
Expert Tips for the Ultimate Strawberry Crunch Cake
Follow these expert tips to ensure your Strawberry Crunch Cake turns out perfectly:
1. Preparing the Ingredients
- Batter and cream cheese frosting will turn out smoother if all components are at room temperature.
- Be gentle when folding the strawberries into the cake batter to avoid crushing them. You can also fill your cake pans with the batter first and add the strawberries on top before baking.
2. Baking Tips for a Flawless Cake
Follow these baking tips to create a perfect Strawberry Crunch Cake every time:
- Use room temperature ingredients, especially eggs and cream cheese, to ensure even mixing and baking.
- On the other hand, if you use melted butter for the cake, make sure it’s not hot but at room temperature.
- Overmixing the cake mixture might result in a dense, hefty cake.
- Insert a toothpick into the center to check if the cake is done. If it is ready, there should be no residue or just a few wet crumbs.
- Before assembling and frosting the cake, make sure the layers have cooled fully. It prevents the cream cheese frosting from melting and ensures a stable cake structure.
3. Achieving the Perfect Crunch
To make sure your Strawberry Crunch Cake has the best crunch, keep these tips in mind:
- Ensure the crushed Golden Oreos and freeze-dried strawberries are mixed well for a consistent coating.
- Press the crunch coating onto the frosting gently but firmly. It helps the mixture adhere to the cake without making the frosting uneven.
- If you’re making the crunch coating in advance, store it in an airtight container to keep it fresh and maintain its texture.
- If the crunch coating isn’t sticking well, try chilling the frosted cake for 15-20 minutes before applying it.
Now you are all set to create a truly unforgettable Strawberry Crunch Cake! With these additional tips and tricks, you can confidently present a dessert that looks beautiful and tastes great too. Enjoy the process, and most importantly, savor the fruits of your labor!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I Use a Different Cake Mix Flavor?
Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with different cake mix flavors, such as yellow cake, lemon cake, or strawberry cake mix, to find your favorite combination.
2. Can I Substitute Fresh Strawberries With Frozen Ones?
You can absolutely use frozen strawberries. Thaw and drain them well to avoid excess moisture in the batter.
3. How Long Can I Store the Cake?
This Strawberry Crunch Cake will keep for up to three days in the fridge. Just be sure to keep it well-covered so that it stays nice and moist and fresh.
4. Can I Prepare the Strawberry Crunch Topping Ahead of Time?
Of course! You can make the crunch coating a day or two ahead of time and store it in an airtight container at room temperature (not in the fridge!). This way, you’ll have it ready when it’s time to assemble the cake.
And there you have it — a delectable Strawberry Crunch Cake that’s perfect for any occasion! With its delightful blend of flavors and textures, this cake will become a favorite among your friends and family.
Don’t put it off any longer; get out the ingredients, heat up the oven, and get baking. I’m confident that once you’ve tried this recipe, you will love it!