Mango and passion fruit curd is a delicious and versatile spread that can be used in many ways, from filling cakes to topping toast or scones. I love making my own curd at home because it’s easy, fun, and allows me to experiment with different flavors and textures. I surely have a curd recipe for every occasion! In this post, I will share my favorite recipe for mango and passion fruit curd and some tips and variations to help you customize it to your liking.
To make mango and passion fruit curd, you will need just a few simple ingredients: mango and passion fruit puree, egg yolks, sugar, butter, and salt. The key to a good curd is to balance the sweetness and acidity of the fruits, while achieving a smooth and creamy texture. I like to use ripe, fragrant mangoes and tangy passion fruits for a tropical twist, but you can also substitute other fruits or juices if you prefer. And don’t forget the salt — it balances the sweetness and tanginess!
Here’s my recipe for mango and passion fruit curd:
How to Make Mango and Passion Fruit Curd
- 5 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (caster sugar)
- 1/2 cup passion fruit puree (about 5 passion fruits)
- 1/2 cup mango puree (about 1 large mango)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a heatproof bowl until pale and creamy.
- In a separate medium saucepan, heat the mango and passion fruit puree over medium heat until hot but not boiling.
- Gradually pour the hot fruit mixture into the egg mixture, whisking constantly, until well combined.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the curd thickens and coats the back of the spoon, about 10—15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter and salt until melted and smooth.
- Let cool to room temperature, then transfer to a jar or container and refrigerate until ready to use.
For some variations, you can add a splash of rum or coconut milk for a Caribbean twist, or some lime zest or chili flakes for a spicy kick. You can also adjust the sweetness or acidity by adding more or less sugar or fruit juice. The curd will keep in the fridge for up to a week, but it’s so delicious that it probably won’t last that long!
Storing the Mango and Passion Fruit Curd
Transfer the cooled curd to a clean, airtight jar and store it in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to two weeks.
You can also freeze the curd for up to three months. To thaw, place the jar in the refrigerator overnight.
For a variation, you can try adding a tablespoon of lime juice to the mixture for a tangy twist. You can also experiment with different fruits, such as kiwi or pineapple, to create your own unique curd recipe.
Tips and Variations
Tips for Making Mango and Passion Fruit Curd
Mango and passion fruit curd is a delicious and versatile spread that can be used in a variety of desserts and baked goods. Here are some tips to help you make the perfect curd:
- Use fresh, ripe mangoes and passion fruits for the best flavor.
- Be sure to strain the passionfruit pulp to remove any seeds or fibers before adding it to the curd mixture.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together until they are well combined and the mixture is pale yellow in color. This will help create a smooth and creamy texture for the curd.
- Use a heavy-bottomed saucepan to prevent the curd from scorching or sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Stir the curd constantly while it is cooking to prevent it from curdling or separating.
- You can adjust the sweetness and tartness of the curd by adding more or less sugar and passionfruit/mango puree.
- Remove the curd from the heat as soon as it has thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- Store the curd in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Variations on Mango and Passion Fruit Curd
While mango and passion fruit curd is delicious on its own, there are many ways to customize the recipe to suit your taste preferences. Here are some ideas:
- Add a splash of rum or coconut milk to the curd mixture for a Caribbean twist.
- Try using different types of citrus juice, such as lime or lemon juice, instead of passion fruit juice.
- For a spicier version, add a pinch of cayenne pepper or a dash of hot sauce to the curd mixture.
- Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract for a subtle vanilla flavor.
- Substitute 1/4 cup of the passion fruit puree with coconut milk for a tropical twist.
- Add 1—2 tablespoons of lime juice for a tangy kick.
- Try using other fruit purees, such as raspberry or lemon, in place of the passionfruit and mango.
- For a tropical twist, add some shredded coconut or chopped macadamia nuts to the curd.
How to Use Mango and Passion Fruit Curd
Once you have made your delicious Mango and Passion Fruit Curd, you may be wondering how to use it. Here are a few ideas:
Spread it on Toast or Scones
The most obvious way to enjoy Mango and Passion Fruit Curd is to spread it on toast or scones. It’s a great alternative to jam or honey and adds a tropical twist to your breakfast or afternoon tea.
Use it as a Filling for Cakes and Cupcakes
You can also use Mango and Passion Fruit Curd as a filling for cakes and cupcakes. It pairs well with vanilla, coconut, and chocolate flavors. Simply cut a small hole in the center of your cake or cupcake and fill it with the curd. You can also use it as a layer between cake layers. Use the leftover egg whites to make meringue topping on your cake.
Drizzle it on Ice Cream or Yogurt
Mango and Passion Fruit Curd can also be used as a topping for ice cream or yogurt. It adds a fruity, tangy flavor that complements the creaminess of the ice cream or yogurt. You can also add some fresh passion fruit on top for an extra burst of flavor.
Use it as a Dip for Fruit or Cookies
If you’re looking for a healthier snack option, you can use Mango and Passion Fruit Curd as a dip for fresh fruit or whole wheat cookies. It’s a great way to add some sweetness and flavor to your snack without adding too much sugar.
Make it into a Cocktail
Finally, you can use Mango and Passion Fruit Curd to make a delicious tropical cocktail. Mix it with some rum, coconut milk, and ice for a refreshing and fruity drink.
There are many ways to use Mango and Passion Fruit Curd, so feel free to get creative and experiment with different recipes and ideas!
Making Mango and Passion Fruit Curd is easier than you might think, and the result is a delicious and versatile spread that can be used in so many ways. Whether you enjoy it on toast, spooned over yogurt, or baked into a cake, this curd is sure to add a bright and tangy flavor to any dish. So go ahead and give it a try — you won’t be disappointed!