Today is National Jelly Bean Day and what better way to celebrate than by making a jelly bean cake? Yes, you read that right, a cake made with jelly beans! If you’re wondering if it’s possible to make a cake with jelly beans, the answer is yes. Not only is it possible, but it’s also delicious and a fun way to incorporate this classic candy into your baking.
So how do you make a jelly bean cake? The process is surprisingly simple. All you need is a basic cake batter recipe, some jelly beans, and a little creativity.
National Jelly Bean Day
Today is April 22nd, which means it’s National Jelly Bean Day! It’s the perfect day to indulge in your favorite jelly bean flavors and celebrate this sweet treat. Whether you prefer classic flavors like cherry and grape or more unique flavors like buttered popcorn and blueberry, there’s a jelly bean flavor for everyone.
What are Jelly Beans?
As a lover of sweets, I have always been fascinated by jelly beans. These small, bean-shaped candies come in a variety of flavors and colors, making them a popular treat for people of all ages. Jelly beans are typically made from a combination of sugar, corn syrup, and starch, which is then flavored with fruit extracts or oils. They are often coated with a thin layer of wax to give them a shiny finish and prevent them from sticking together.
While jelly beans are commonly enjoyed as a snack or Easter candy, they can also be used in baking to add a burst of flavor and color to cakes, cookies, and other desserts. In fact, you can make a delicious jelly bean cake with just a few simple ingredients!
Today, April 22nd, is National Jelly Bean Day, so why not celebrate it in appropriate way?
Can You Make Cake with Jelly Beans?
Yes, you can make a delicious cake with jelly beans! One way to celebrate National Jelly Bean Day is by making a delicious jelly bean cake. Yes, you read that right – jelly bean cake! While it may sound unusual, jelly beans can be a fun and colorful addition to a cake. The cake both smells and tastes terrific!
Adding candies to your cake batter is a delicious and creative way to add flavor and color to your dessert. The jelly beans will melt while baking, creating pockets of sweetness and bursts of flavor throughout the cake.
To make a jelly bean cake, start by baking a vanilla or white cake according to your favorite recipe. Once the cake has cooled, frost it with your favorite frosting. Then, decorate the cake with jelly beans by pressing them gently into the frosting. You can use a variety of colors and flavors to create a fun and festive look.
Another way to use jelly beans in a cake is to chop them up and mix them into the batter before baking. This will create a speckled effect in the cake and add a burst of flavor with each bite.
You can use any flavor of jelly beans you like, or even mix and match for a unique taste. Some popular flavors to try include cherry, blueberry, and lemon.
When adding candies to your cake batter, make sure to stir them in gently so that they don’t break apart and turn the batter a different color. You can also reserve some jelly beans to sprinkle on top of the cake after it’s baked for a fun and colorful decoration.
Simple Jelly Bean Cake Recipe
Here’s a simple recipe to make a jelly bean cake from cake mix:
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup chopped jelly beans
- 1 1/2 cups your favorite premade frosting (I prefer this one)
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (175 °C).
- Prepare the white cake mix according to the package directions.
- Stir in the chopped jelly beans.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Bake for 30—35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake completely before frosting.
- Frost with your favorite frosting and decorate naturally with jelly beans.
If you want to get creative, you can use different flavors of jelly beans to create a rainbow effect or use seasonal colors for holidays like Halloween or Christmas. Or, make a really colorful birthday cake.
Overall, jelly bean cake is a fun and unique way to celebrate National Jelly Bean Day. Give it a try and enjoy!
Different Flavors of Jelly Beans
Jelly beans come in a wide variety of flavors, from fruity to sour to spicy. Some popular flavors include:
- Green apple
- Buttered popcorn
Experiment with different flavors in your cake to create a unique and delicious dessert.
Which Flavors of Jelly Beans are Best for a Cake?
When it comes to making a jelly bean cake, the flavor possibilities are endless. However, some flavors work better than others when it comes to baking. Here are a few of my favorite flavors to use in a jelly bean cake:
These flavors are all fruity and sweet, which makes them perfect for a cake. However, you can also experiment with other flavors like grape, green apple, and even buttered popcorn.
When using jelly beans in a cake recipe, it’s important to consider the texture and consistency of the candy. Some jelly beans are harder or softer than others, which can affect the overall texture of the cake. For example, jelly beans with a hard shell may not melt as easily as softer ones, which can result in uneven distribution throughout the cake.
One way to ensure that the jelly beans are evenly distributed is to chop them into smaller pieces before adding them to the batter. This will also help to release their flavor and color throughout the cake.
Overall, the best flavors for a cake are those that are fruity, sweet, and have a soft texture. Experiment with different flavors and textures to find the perfect combination for your jelly bean cake.
Jelly Bean Cake from Scratch
If you want to take your jelly bean cake to the next level, prepare it from scratch. It’s easy! I share my favorite recipe which I make often. You see this cake also in the photos in this post.
To make a jelly bean cake from scratch, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped jelly beans
Follow these simple steps to make your own jelly bean cake:
- Preheat your oven to 325 °F (160 °C).
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the sugar, butter, cream cheese, and vanilla extract with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat until well combined.
- Stir in the chopped jelly beans.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured fluted tube pan.
- Bake for 50—60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan and letting it cool completely on a wire rack.
- Glaze with sugar glaze made of 2 cups powdered sugar + 2 tablespoons milk and decorate with whole jelly beans. Press the beans to the wet glaze so that they stick well.
There are many ways to customize your jelly bean cake. You can use different types of jelly beans to create different flavors and colors. You can also add a layer of frosting or whipped cream on top of the cake to make it even more delicious.
Tips and Variations
Here are a few tips and variations to help you make the perfect jelly bean cake:
- Use a mix of different jelly bean flavors to create a colorful and flavorful cake.
- Try adding a layer of jelly beans to the middle of the cake for an extra burst of flavor.
- Experiment with different cake flavors, such as chocolate or lemon, to complement the candies.
- Top the cake with a cream cheese frosting for a delicious contrast to the sweet jelly beans.
- For a healthier option, try substituting applesauce for the vegetable oil in the recipe.
- Try using different types of candy instead, such as M&Ms or Skittles.
- Add chopped nuts or coconut to the batter for added texture and flavor.
Remember, the possibilities are endless when it comes to making a jelly bean cake. Get creative and have fun with it!
Today is National Jelly Bean Day, so why not celebrate by making a delicious jelly bean cake?
As a cake lover, I can confidently say that jelly bean cake is a must-try for anyone with a sweet tooth. It is a unique and creative way to incorporate these small flavor-bursting treats into your dessert, and it is surprisingly easy to make.
There are various jelly bean cake recipes available online, but my personal favorite (after my own recipes, that is!) is the Jelly Bean Cake recipe from Betty Crocker. It is simple, delicious, and perfect for any occasion.
If you want to get creative with your jelly bean cake, you can experiment with different flavors and colors of jelly beans. You can also try making a fun surprise inside jelly bean cake — a piñata style cake — where you cut out the center of the cake and fill it with jelly beans before frosting the cake.
Overall, jelly bean cake is a fun and festive dessert that is perfect for National Jelly Bean Day, which happens to be today, April 22nd. So why not celebrate by making a delicious jelly bean cake? Trust me, your taste buds will thank you. Happy baking!