If you’re looking for a quick and easy dessert recipe, you can’t go wrong with lazy cake. This no-bake chocolate biscuit cake is perfect for those times when you need something sweet but don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen. With just a few simple ingredients, you can whip up a delicious cake that’s sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
To make lazy cake, you’ll need tea biscuits, sweetened condensed milk, and cocoa powder. Crush the biscuits and mix them with the condensed milk and cocoa powder until everything is well combined. Then, pour the mixture into a cake pan and refrigerate it overnight. The next day, slice the cake and serve it chilled.
There are a few tips and variations you can try to make your lazy cake even more delicious. For example, you can use different types of biscuits, such as digestive biscuits or graham crackers, to change up the flavor. You can also add other ingredients, such as chopped nuts or dried fruit, to give your cake some extra texture and flavor. And if you want to make your cake even richer, you can melt some chocolate and pour it over the top before serving.
What is Lazy Cake?
Lazy cake is a no-bake dessert made with biscuits (cookies), condensed milk, and cocoa powder. It’s called “lazy” cake because it’s a quick and easy dessert that requires very little effort to make. The biscuits are crushed into small pieces and mixed with cocoa powder, melted butter, and condensed milk to create a thick and fudgy mixture. The mixture is then pressed into a baking dish and refrigerated until it sets. Once set, the cake is cut into squares or slices and served. Lazy cake is a popular dessert in many countries and can be customized by adding different ingredients such as nuts, dried fruits, or coconut.
Is Lazy Cake the Same than Mosaic Cake?
No, lazy cake and mosaic cake are not the same thing, although they are both no-bake cakes made with biscuits and condensed milk.
Lazy cake is made by crushing biscuits into small pieces and mixing them with cocoa powder, condensed milk, and butter. The mixture is then pressed into a baking dish and refrigerated until set. The result is a dense, fudgy cake that is usually cut into squares or slices.
Mosaic cake, on the other hand, is made by layering whole biscuits in a loaf pan or other container, and then pouring a mixture of condensed milk, cocoa powder, and butter over the biscuits. The layers are then chilled until set, and the cake is sliced to reveal the “mosaic” pattern of the biscuits inside.
While both cakes use similar ingredients, the method of preparation and the final result are quite different.
What Kind of Mold or Pan is the Best for Lazy Cake?
Lazy cake can be made in any square or rectangular baking dish or pan. The size of the pan can vary depending on how thick or thin you want the cake to be. A 9×9-inch square baking dish is a popular size for making lazy cake. You can also use a loaf pan or a round cake pan if you prefer.
It’s important to line the pan with parchment paper before pouring the mixture in to make it easier to remove the cake once it’s set. You can also lightly grease the pan with butter or cooking spray to ensure that the cake doesn’t stick to the sides.
If you don’t have a baking dish or pan, you can also make lazy cake in a plastic container or a silicone mold. Just be sure to choose a mold or container that is the right size and shape for the amount of mixture you’re making.
Making a lazy cake is incredibly easy and requires only a few simple ingredients. Below are the ingredients you will need to make a basic lazy cake:
- 2 packs of tea biscuits, Marie biscuits, or digestive biscuits (36 pieces total)
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder (natural or Dutch processed)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 of a 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk (total used is 200 g or 7 oz)
These base ingredients are easy to find at your local grocery store and provide the foundation for a delicious and simple lazy cake.
While the base ingredients are all you need to make a basic lazy cake, there are a few optional ingredients that you can add to enhance the flavor and texture of your cake. Some popular optional ingredients include:
- Mini marshmallows
- Desiccated coconut
Adding mini marshmallows to your lazy cake can add a fun, gooey texture to your cake, while adding sprinkles can make your cake more colorful and festive.
- Crush the biscuits into small pieces using a food processor or by placing them in a plastic bag and crushing them with a rolling pin.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the crushed biscuits, cocoa powder, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
- Add the condensed milk to the chocolate mixture and stir until well combined.
- Line a square baking dish with parchment paper and pour the mixture into the dish.
- Use a spatula to spread the mixture evenly and press it down firmly.
- Sprinkle your optional ingredients on top (optional).
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 3—4 hours or overnight.
- Once the cake is set, remove it from the fridge and cut it into squares or slices with a sharp knife.
- Serve and enjoy!
Here are a few tips and variations to make your lazy cake even more delicious:
- You can use any type of biscuits for this recipe. Graham crackers, digestive biscuits, or even Oreos work well.
- If you want to add some crunch to your cake, try adding chopped nuts or dried fruits to the mixture.
- To make the cake more chocolatey, add some chocolate chips to the mixture.
- If you don’t have a cake pan, you can use a loaf pan or any other container that can hold the mixture.
- If you want to make the cake more festive, add some sprinkles or edible glitter to the mixture.
- For a healthier version of the cake, use whole wheat biscuits and replace the butter with coconut oil.
- Swap the cocoa powder and butter for an equal amount of melted milk chocolate or dark chocolate.
- Let the cake cool completely before slicing to ensure it holds its shape.
- Store the cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
While the classic lazy cake recipe is delicious on its own, there are many ways to customize it to your taste:
|Nutella Lazy Cake||Replace half of the melted butter with Nutella for a hazelnut twist. Use only 1/4 cup of cocoa powder.|
|Chocolate Biscuit Cake||Use digestive biscuits or graham crackers instead of tea biscuits for a slightly different flavor and texture.|
|Orange Zest Lazy Cake||Add the zest of one orange to the mixture for a citrusy kick.|
Feel free to experiment with different flavors and toppings to make this lazy cake your own!
Lazy cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. However, it’s best to keep it in the fridge to make it last longer. The cake will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
If you want to freeze your lazy cake, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil. Label and date the cake before placing it in the freezer. The cake will last up to 3 months in the freezer. To thaw, remove the cake from the freezer and let it sit at room temperature for a few hours or overnight in the fridge.
It’s important to note that lazy cake can become dry if it’s not stored properly. Make sure that the container you use is airtight to prevent air from drying out the cake. If your cake does become dry, you can try adding a bit of moisture by brushing it with simple syrup or milk before serving.
Another tip for storing your lazy cake is to cut it into individual slices before storing. This makes it easier to grab a quick slice whenever you want one, without having to cut into the entire cake.
Lazy cake is a delicious and easy-to-make dessert that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you are hosting a party or just want to enjoy a sweet treat, this recipe is sure to satisfy your cravings. With its rich chocolate flavor and crunchy texture, lazy cake is a crowd-pleaser that everyone will love.
When making lazy cake, there are a few tips and variations that you can try to make the recipe your own. For example, you can add different types of cookies or candy to the mixture to create unique flavor combinations. You can also experiment with different types of chocolate or toppings to add extra sweetness or texture to the cake.
Overall, lazy cake is a simple and delicious dessert that is perfect for any occasion. With its easy-to-follow recipe and endless variations, you can make this dessert your own and enjoy it with family and friends. So why not try making lazy cake today and indulge in a sweet and satisfying treat?