Rainbow drip cake has become a popular dessert in recent years, and it’s no surprise why. The vibrant colors and unique design make it a showstopper at any event. I’ve, too, had my fair share of requests for this cake and have experimented with different techniques to perfect it.
One of the most important aspects of a rainbow drip cake is the cake itself. Using a white velvet cake recipe is ideal because it allows the colors to really pop. I also recommend using Americolor gel food coloring for the best results. Another key element is the buttercream frosting. It should be creamy and smooth, yet sturdy enough to hold the layers together. Adding a whitening solution can also help make the colors stand out even more. Once the cake layers are stacked and frosted, it’s time to add the drip. This can be achieved with a ganache or a simple icing that is melted and dripped over the edges. The final result is a stunning and delicious dessert that is sure to impress.
Rainbow Drip Cake Recipe
When it comes to making a rainbow drip cake, there are three main components: the cake batter, buttercream frosting, and drip decoration. Each of these components requires specific ingredients to achieve the perfect rainbow effect. In my opinion, this cake makes a perfect birthday cake — the colors are happy and joyful just like birthday!
Ingredients for the Cake
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
- Gel food coloring (in rainbow colors)
Ingredients for the Buttercream
- 2 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Gel food coloring (in rainbow colors)
Ingredients for the Drip
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat the oven to 350 °F (175 °C). Grease and flour six 8-inch cake pans.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
3. In a large bowl, beat the butter until smooth and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Add the buttermilk and beat until combined.
4. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with the egg whites. Mix until just combined.
5. Divide the batter evenly between 6 bowls. Add a different color of gel food coloring to each bowl and mix until combined.
6. Pour each color of batter into its own prepared cake pan. Bake for 20—25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
7. Let the cakes cool completely before assembling the cake.
8. To make the buttercream, beat the butter until smooth and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Gradually add the powdered sugar, heavy cream, and clear vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and creamy.
9. Divide the buttercream evenly between 6 clean bowls. Add a different color of gel food coloring to each bowl and mix until combined.
10. Place the first cake layer on a cake stand or plate. Spread a layer of buttercream on top and the sides of the cake. Repeat with the remaining cake layers, alternating colors.
11. Chill the cake in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
12. To make the drip, combine the white chocolate chips and heavy cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until the mixture is smooth and melted.
13. Take the chilled cake from the fridge. Pour the drip over the edges of the cake, allowing it to drip down the sides. Use a spoon or spatula to spread the drip evenly around the edges of the cake.
14. Decorate the top of the cake with additional buttercream and any other decorations you like, such as sprinkles or edible flowers.
15. Chill the cake in the refrigerator until the drip has set and the buttercream is firm, at least 30 minutes.
16. Serve and enjoy your beautiful and delicious rainbow drip cake!
Gold Drip Decoration
If you want to add a touch of luxury to your cake, try a gold drip decoration. To create a gold drip effect, start by making a the drip as instructed above. Once the drip has cooled slightly, add a small amount of gold luster dust or gel or liquid food coloring in gold and mix well.
Fill a squeeze bottle with the gold drip and start adding drips around the edge of the cake. Use an offset spatula to spread the drips around the edge of the cake and create a smooth finish. You can also add a few drips in the center of the cake for added effect.
To finish off your gold drip decoration, add some fancy sprinkles to the top of the cake. Place the cake on a cake stand and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you create a rainbow effect on a cake?
To create a rainbow effect on a cake, you will need to use gel food coloring to dye the cake batter in different colors of the rainbow. You can use a piping bag to pipe the different colors of batter into the cake pan in layers. Once the cake is baked and cooled, you can then use a serrated knife to level the top of the cake and create a flat surface for the frosting.
What colors are typically used in a rainbow drip cake?
A rainbow drip cake typically uses the colors of the rainbow: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. You can use gel food coloring to dye the cake batter and frosting in these colors. For the drip effect, you can use a gold or silver food coloring to create a metallic effect — or simply make a white drip for a classic color combination.
What is the best way to achieve the perfect drip effect on a cake?
To achieve the perfect drip effect on a cake, you will need to use a ganache (made of chocolate and heavy cream) or candy melt mixture that is the right consistency. The mixture should be thick enough to hold its shape but thin enough to drip down the sides of the cake. You can use a squeeze bottle or a piping bag to apply the drip effect to the cake.
Can you make a rainbow drip cake without fondant?
Yes, you can make a rainbow drip cake without fondant. You can use buttercream frosting to cover the cake and create a smooth surface for the drip effect. To create the rainbow effect, you can dye the cake batter in different colors and layer them in the cake pan. Once the cake is baked and cooled, you can level the top of the cake and apply the frosting.
What are some popular decorations for a rainbow drip cake?
Some popular decorations for a rainbow drip cake include sprinkles, edible glitter, macarons, rainbow-colored lollipops, and fresh fruit. You can also use fondant to create shapes and designs on top of the cake.
What type of cake is best for a rainbow drip cake?
A vanilla cake is the best type of cake for a rainbow drip cake. The vanilla flavor pairs well with the bright colors of the rainbow, and the cake has a neutral color that allows the colors to pop. You can use a butter cake or a sponge cake as well, but make sure the cake is sturdy enough to hold up the layers of frosting and decorations. My personal preference is a white velvet cake that has an amazing texture and looks.