“Healthy” and “Dessert” aren’t usually two words you associate together. Desserts are usually drenched in sugar and other not very healthy ingredients that make them pretty unhealthy. However, not all desserts have to be unhealthy. You can modify desserts, making them healthy. We have recipes for 4 healthy desserts you can make for your next family night.
Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
1 lb. of strawberries (frozen)
1 cup of Greek yogurt (preferably 2%)
1/4 cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Strawberries for garnish
- Pulse the cup of strawberries in a food processor. You need to process it until they are finely chopped. Once done, move to a metal bowl.
- Puree the yogurt, vanilla, and remaining strawberries in the food processor until they are smooth. Transfer the mixture to the bowl with the chopped strawberries and mix well.
- Put the bowl in the freezer for 1 hour. Check on the mixture, make sure it is firm but not hard. If it is then you can garnish it with strawberries and enjoy!
Angel Food Cupcake
1 Angel Food Cake box mix
Fat-free Cool whip
Strawberries cut into quarters
- Oven should be preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Paying close attention to the instructions on the box, prepare the Angel Food cake batter.
- Grab cupcake liners, in which you will fill the batter 3/4 way up. Bake the cupcake for about 8 minutes or until it picks a light brown color, make sure it is not completely brown. Allow the cupcake to cool.
- Once cooled, add 2 tablespoon of cool whip to each.
- Add two pieces of strawberries to the top, 2 quarters and enjoy!
Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bite
2 ripe bananas
1/4 cup of creamy nut butter
3/4 cup of baking dark chocolate
1.5 tablespoon of coconut oil
- On a baking sheet, put parchment paper and cut the bananas into slices. The slices should be about half an inch in width. Lay the slices out on the baking sheet.
- Put peanut butter on each slice and put another slice of banana on top of it. Once all covered, freeze it for about 30 minutes.
- Put the coconut oil in a bowl, make sure it is microwave safe. If the oil is hard, microwave until completely melted. Add chocolate to the oil bowl once the oil has melted and microwave again until the two are smooth. Take out and mix making sure the chocolate is completely smooth.
- Dip the bananas into the chocolate, making sure they are completely covered.
- Once all banana pieces are covered in chocolate, freeze for an hour and your dessert is ready.
Greek Yogurt Fruit Tart
15 dates soaked in warm water
1.5 up of unsalted cashews
1 cup of Greek yogurt (any flavour of your choice)
Sliced fruits, any fruits you like
- Spray non-stick spray on the cake or tart pan you will be using. We recommend using a 9-inch pan. Once sprayed cover with parchment paper.
- Soak the dates in warm water for about 10 minutes. They should become soft. Chop them into half.
- In a processor, pulse the cashews and dates together. The two should form a thick dough like mixture. Spread the dough mixture on to the pan, make sure you evenly press it.
- Spread the yogurt on the crust.
- Decorate the fresh fruits on top of the yogurt and serve.