You don’t have to be an expert baker to make a decent mango mousse cake. The sponge cake that is filled with mango mousse is quite a delightful treat. All you need is the perfect recipe and guide that will help you make the best mango mousse cake. And we have exactly that for you. If you are looking to wow your guest at your next dinner party then you will need the following:
Sponge Cake will be made from:
- 4 eggs which will need to be separated
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon of coconut flavouring
- 3/4 cup and 2 tablespoons of sifted flour
- A pinch of salt
- Powdered sugar
We start off with the sponge cake. The following process will give you the best result:
- You need to start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F.
- You then need to beat the egg whites until stiff, this can be done with a hand mixer. In the process, you can slowly add sugar to it until you get a glossy meringue.
- Once done with that, you can whisk the yolks of the egg in a separate bowl until they are completely mixed.
- Then you need to whisk about 1/4 cup of the meringue into the bowl of egg yolks.
- Next, you need to fold the mixture of egg yolk back into the meringue. Use the vanilla and coconut flavouring in the process.
- You then fold both the salt and flour into the meringue. Do this until the flour is mixed in well.
- Get a ziplock bag and place the mixture you have into it. Seal the bag off completely and then cut off one of the bottom corner making a hole about half an inch wide.
- Get your baking sheet out and place a piece of parchment on it.
- Then with a pencil, you need to trace out the diameter of a 9 inch pan in two places. Filling the spaces in the traced circles with the cake batter in a spiral fashion. The circle should be filled with about half the cake batter.
- You should have a separate baking sheet along with parchment that you will mark two bands on with a pencil. The bands will be equal width and height of the pan. These should equal about 2/3 of the length of the cookie sheet, just incase you make a mistake. You then need to diagonally pipe the batter filling the bands which will then line in the pan.
- You can add some powdered sugar to the top of the cake pieces.
- Then you bake it for about 12 minutes, until the cake is a nice, golden brown color.
- You then remove the cakes from the oven, peeling the parchments off while it is still warm so you can easily do it.
Now we move on to working on the syrup.
For the syrup of the cake, you need:
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons of fruit flavoured liqueur or 1 teaspoon of vanilla with 1 teaspoon of orange extract
- 4 tablespoons of melted butter
Add the sugar to the water and boil it, you can then remove it and allow it to cool for a little bit.
You then add and stir the liqueur to it.
That pretty much is your syrup.
The syrup will be applied as you make the cake.
- So before putting the cake in the pan, you need to brush the melted butter on the side and at the bottom of the pan.
- Then you add the first circle of the cake to the pan. You then generously apply/brush the syrup on top. Make sure you brush all the plain sides of the cake with the syrup and ensure they fit perfectly in the pan.
We then move on to working on the mousse.
The mousse requires:
- 2 cups of fresh mango chunks (you can also use frozen if you cannot find fresh mangoes)
- Juice from 2 limes
- 1/4 cup of water with 1 tablespoon of gelatine
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2 egg whites
- 1 and 1/2 cups of whipping cream
Here’s how to make your mousse:
- You start off by making a puree of the mango with the lime juice until it is smooth.
- You then have to strain it and set it aside.
- Add the 1/4 cup of water to a bowl and sprinkle gelatine in it then let it rest for about 5 minutes.
- Take the bowl and set it on top of a pot with simmering water, make sure the bowl does not touch the water. Set it there and stir until the gelatin dissolves.
- You then need to stir the mango puree you made into the gelatin and stir until it is mixed well.
- Then you can strain the mixture and set it aside.
- Add sugar to a saucepan with 1/4 cup of water and allow it to boil and reach about 248 degrees F.
- You will then need to beat the egg whites until it is stiff. Once the syrup mixture reaches 248 degrees F, slowly add it to the egg whites. Continue to beat the mixture until they become a meringue.
- Add 1/4 mango puree mixture to the meringue.
- You then need to beat the whipping cream until nice, soft peaks form. Then add it to the mango and meringue mixture.
Assembling the cake
- Once you put the first cake mixture on the bottom of the pan, you then need to add the mousse to it, spreading it all over.
- You then need to put the other part of the cake on top, brush as much syrup on to top as you like.
- Then once again you top that off with more mousse mixture all the way to the top of the pan.
- To let the cake cool off, you can put it in the freezer for 2 and a half to 3 hours.
- And you are done.
- You can use raspberries or fresh mangoes as topping for the cake
The whole process may seem tough, but once you give it a try you will realise it is more fun than anything. Plus you get to eat one of the best mango mousse cake once done so why not give it a go?