What is a cake without frosting? Just a boring, dull but sweet food item. The frosting of the cake gives it life. While many people use store made frosting, making your own frosting is a simple and fast process. You can easily make it within 10 minutes, we recommend you try our process of making frosting and you will never go back to store bought frosting.
For the frosting, you will need the following:
- Powdered Sugar (3 cups)
- Softened butter or margarine (1/3 cup)
- Vanilla (1/2 teaspoon), if you want chocolate frosting then you can use chocolate instead
- Milk (1 to 2 tablespoons)
- Bowl (medium size)
- Spoon or mixer to mix
As you can see, you do not need a lot of ingredients to make frosting, making it fairly simple. The process of making the frosting only involves four easy steps.
Step 1: You start by pouring your powdered sugar into a medium size bowl. You don’t want the bowl to be too small otherwise it will spill when you mix. We used a bowl that can easily hold 5 cups of water.
Step 2: Add the butter to the bowl and start mixing it. If you are mixing with an electric mixer then make sure it is at low speed.
Step 3: As you continue to mix the powdered sugar and butter, you can add the vanilla to the bowl along with a tablespoon of milk.
Step 4: Continue to mix the mixture until it starts to get smoother. Then you can add the second tablespoon of milk while you continue to gently beat the mixture. You need to mix it until it is easy to spread and smooth.
Note: as you mix the frosting, if the frosting is too thick even after you add the second tablespoon of milk, you can add a few more drops of milk and continue to beat it. If you add too much at once there is a chance it will become too thin. If it does, then you can add powdered sugar to add a little thickness to it.
We also have some tips for you to ensure you have no problem making the frosting:
- The butter or margarine you use should be at room temperature before you beat it. Make sure there is no lumps in it, beat them out completely.
- If you want the perfect white color then make sure to use clear flavoring and shortening.
- Before you apply frosting to the cake, make sure you allow it to cool off. Applying frosting to a freshly baked cake will make it fall apart.
- If you are looking to add a little color to the cake you can do so with the help of powder coloring. We prefer powder coloring to liquid or gel form as it doesn’t ruin the texture of the frosting.
Told you it was an easy process, you are now done with your frosting. The frosting should be enough for you to easily apply on a cake that is 13 inches by 9 inches. You can increase the amount of ingredients used according to the size of cake you require. Be sure to use slightly more as you are sure to eat the frosting as you make it.
As stated before, if you want to make chocolate frosting then you can use chocolate instead of vanilla. Either ways, you will have frosting that your guest will likely lick off the cake. Making your cakes a hit. So what are you waiting for? Haven’t we enticed you enough to test out this easy way of making your own frosting?
You must be logged in to post a comment.