As more people turn to plant-based diets, the demand for vegan-friendly foods and products continues to grow. One area where this is particularly evident is in the baking industry, with an increasing number of vegan cake mix brands hitting the market. These mixes make it easier than ever to enjoy delicious cakes and cupcakes without sacrificing your dietary preferences.
Whether you’re a seasoned vegan or just starting out, finding the best vegan cake mix can be a challenge. With so many options available, it can be difficult to know which ones are worth your time and money. That’s why I’ve done the research for you from a professional baker’s point of view and compiled a list of the top vegan cake mix brands to try in 2023.
What to Look for in Vegan Cake Mixes
If you’re looking for a vegan cake mix, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure that you’re getting a high-quality product that meets your dietary needs. Below are some factors to consider when choosing a vegan cake mix:
- Ingredients: Always check the ingredients list to make sure that the cake mix is vegan. Look for mixes that do not contain any animal products, such as eggs, milk, or butter. Instead, they should use plant-based substitutes, like applesauce, flaxseed, or non-dairy milk.
- Flavor: Consider the flavor of the cake mix. Do you prefer chocolate, vanilla, or fruit flavors? Some brands offer a variety of options, while others may only have a few flavors to choose from.
- Texture: Texture is an important factor to consider when choosing your cake mix. Some people prefer a dense, moist cake, while others prefer a lighter, fluffier texture. Read reviews or product descriptions to get an idea of the cake’s texture before making a purchase.
- Brands: Look for reputable brands that specialize in vegan baking. Some popular vegan cake mix brands include Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, and Miss Jones Baking Co.
- Price: Vegan cake mixes can vary in price, so consider your budget when making a purchase. Some brands may be more expensive than others, but they may also offer higher-quality ingredients or more flavor options.
By considering these factors, you can find vegan boxed cake mixes that meet your dietary needs and tastes delicious too!
Top 6 Best Vegan Cake Mixes
Baking a vegan cake from scratch can be a daunting task (well, actually not, if you use this easy vegan cake recipe!), but luckily, there are plenty of good options available to make the job as easy as pie. Here are the top 6 vegan cake mixes that you can rely on for a delicious and easy vegan cake:
|Duncan Hines||Classic Yellow Cake Mix||4.8/5|
|The Vegan Knife||Birthday Cake Cupcake and Cake Mix||4.5/5|
|Miss Jones Baking||Organic Cake and Cupcake Mix, Non-GMO||4.4/5|
|Creative Nature||Cacao Rich Vegan Chocolate Cake Baking Mix||4.3/5|
|The Vegan Knife||Vanilla Spice Cupcake and Cake Mix||4.2/5|
|Simple Mills||Vanilla Cake Mix||4.1/5|
Duncan Hines Classic Yellow Cake Mix takes the top spot with 4.8/5 rating. While it may not be marketed as a vegan cake mix, with a little creativity and some simple ingredient swaps, this classic yellow cake mix can be enjoyed by vegans and non-vegans alike. For example, you can easily replace eggs with vegan alternatives, like flax egg or psyllium egg. The resulting cake will be moist, fluffy, and have a delicious buttery flavor even without dairy.
The Vegan Knife Birthday Cake Cupcake and Cake Mix gets the silver medal when it comes to rating. This mix is perfect for any celebration and is made with high-quality vegan ingredients. Miss Jones Baking Organic Cake and Cupcake Mix is a close second with a 4.4/5 rating. This non-GMO mix is a great option for those who want an organic and vegan cake mix.
Creative Nature’s Cacao Rich Vegan Chocolate Cake Baking Mix takes third place with a 4.3/5 rating. This mix is perfect for chocolate lovers and is made with natural and organic ingredients. The Vegan Knife’s Vanilla Spice Cupcake and Cake Mix comes in fourth with a 4.2/5 rating. This mix is perfect for those who want a unique and flavorful cake.
Finally, Simple Mills Vanilla Cake Mix takes the fifth spot with a 4.1/5 rating. This mix is perfect for those who want a classic vanilla cake that is both vegan and gluten-free. All of these vegan cake mixes are delicious and easy to make, making them perfect for any occasion.
For some mixes, when making your cake, you have to replace eggs with vegan egg replacements such as flax eggs or psyllium eggs.
How to Choose the Right Vegan Cake Mix
Choosing the right vegan cake mix can be a disheartening task, especially if you’re new to vegan baking. Here are a few things to consider when selecting the perfect vegan cake mix:
- Ingredients: Always check the ingredients list before purchasing a vegan cake mix. Look for organic, non-GMO, and vegan-friendly ingredients. Avoid mixes that contain artificial flavors, preservatives, and other additives. Vegans are health-conscious, so choosing as natural ingredients as possible is a must.
- Flavors: Consider the flavor of the cake mix. Do you prefer chocolate, vanilla, or something more unique, like lemon or carrot cake? Choose a mix that suits your taste buds.
- Texture: The texture of the cake is just as important as the flavor. Do you want a moist and fluffy cake or a dense and rich cake? Read reviews or ask for recommendations to find a mix that delivers the texture you desire.
- Price: Vegan cake mixes can range in price from $5.00 to $32.00. Determine your budget before making a purchase and compare prices to find the best deal.
- Brand: Some brands specialize in vegan baking and offer a wide variety of vegan cake mixes. Research different brands and read reviews to find a brand that you trust and enjoy. Specialized brands are always better than general brands.
- Other needed ingredients: You’ll naturally need to add other ingredients to your cake batter. For traditional cake, you add eggs which you can replace with vegan egg replacer when you prepare a vegan cake. If the cake mix calls for butter, you can replace it with vegetable oil or vegan butter. Dairy milk is easy to replace with vegan milk such as almond milk or coconut milk — or even with orange juice.
Remember, choosing the right plant-based cake mix can take some trial and error. Don’t be discouraged if the first mix you try doesn’t turn out perfectly. Keep experimenting until you find the perfect mix for your taste buds and baking skills.
Choosing the best vegan cake mix can be challenging, but with the right information, it can be a breeze. After researching and analyzing various vegan cake mixes, I have concluded that there are plenty of options available in the market that are both delicious and vegan-friendly.
If you’re looking for a moist and fluffy cake mix, Duncan Hines Classic Yellow Cake Mix is an excellent choice. On the other hand, if you’re looking for a chocolate cake mix, Creative Nature Cacao Rich Vegan Chocolate Cake Baking Mix is fantastic.
For those who prefer organic and non-GMO options, Miss Jones Baking Organic Cake and Cupcake Mix, Non-GMO is an excellent choice. And if you’re looking for a budget-friendly option, Simple Mills cake mix does the job.
Ultimately, the best vegan cake mix depends on your personal preferences and dietary restrictions. I hope that this article has provided you with enough information to make an informed decision and enjoy a delicious vegan cake.
P.S. Not in the mood for baking after all? Get yourself a ready Whole Foods Vegan Cake!