Oreo Mousse Cake is a delicious dessert that combines the classic flavors of Oreos with a light and airy mousse texture. This dessert is perfect for any event you can imagine and is sure to please your guests. In this article, I will share my favorite Oreo Mousse Cake recipe, along with tips for making it perfect every time, variations to try, and fun facts about Oreos.
To make this Oreo Mousse Cake, you will need crushed Oreos, butter, cream cheese, sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla extract. The crust is made by mixing crushed Oreos with butter and pressing it into a springform pan. The mousse is made by mixing cream cheese, sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla extract until smooth, then folding in more crushed Oreos. The result is a deliciously creamy, crunchy, and chocolaty dessert that is perfect for pleasing your palate.
When making this Oreo Mousse Cake, it is important to use high-quality ingredients and follow the recipe closely. Be sure to chill the cake for at least 6 hours before serving to allow the mousse to set properly. You can also experiment with different variations of this dessert, such as adding chocolate chips or drizzling caramel sauce on top. Fun fact: Did you know that Oreos were first introduced in 1912 and were originally sold in a tin for 25 cents? More fun facts will follow, so stay tuned!
The Ultimate Oreo Mousse Cake Recipe
- 3 cups Oreo cookie crumbs, divided
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Begin by making the crust: In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups Oreo cookie crumbs and melted butter. Mix until well combined.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan that is lined with parchment paper. Use a flat bottomed glass or measuring cup to press the mixture down firmly and evenly.
- Place the crust in the refrigerator to chill while you make the mousse.
- In a heatproof bowl, melt the semisweet chocolate in the microwave or over a double boiler. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the heavy whipping cream and granulated sugar until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the softened cream cheese until smooth. Add in the cooled melted chocolate and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- Fold in the remaining 1 cup Oreo cookies crumbs.
- Finally, gently fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture until no streaks remain.
- Pour the mousse mixture over the chilled crust and smooth out the top with an offset spatula.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator to chill for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Once chilled, remove the cake from the pan and garnish with chocolate shavings or extra Oreo crumbs if desired.
- Oreos were introduced in 1912 by the National Biscuit Company (Nabisco).
- The original Oreo design featured a wreath around the edge and the word “OREO” embossed on the cookie.
- The Oreo is the best-selling cookie in the United States, with over 450 billion sold since its introduction.
- Oreo cookies are vegan-friendly, as they do not contain any animal products.
- The Oreo cookie has inspired many other desserts, including Oreo ice cream, Oreo cheesecake, and Oreo milkshakes.
Tips for a Perfect Oreo Mousse Cake
As someone who has made Oreo Cream Mousse Cake many times, I have some tips to share to make the process easier and more enjoyable.
Whipped cream is an essential ingredient in this recipe. Heavy cream should be whipped to stiff peaks before adding it to the mousse. To ensure that the whipped cream is stable, make sure that the bowl and whisk are cold before whipping the cream. Adding a pinch of cream of tartar or a teaspoon of cornstarch can also help stabilize the whipped cream.
Crushing the cookies is an important step in making this cake. You can use a food processor, blender or place the cookies in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. Make sure to leave some larger chunks for texture.
Make Oreo Mousse
The key to a delicious Oreo Mousse is to make sure that the cream cheese is at room temperature before mixing it with the whipped cream. This will ensure that the mousse is smooth and creamy. When folding the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture, be gentle to avoid deflating the whipped cream.
Garnish and Topping
The garnish and topping are where you can get creative. Crushed Oreos, chocolate shavings, and fresh berries are all great options. To make the cake look more professional, use a piping bag to pipe the whipped cream and mousse onto the cake.
Storage and Leftovers
Oreo Mousse Cake can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Cover it with plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container to prevent it from drying out. Leftover Oreos can be used to make a delicious Oreo milkshake or crushed and added to vanilla ice cream.
With these tips, you’ll be able to make a delicious Oreo Mousse Cake that everyone will love.
As much as I love the classic Oreo Mousse Cake, there are plenty of ways to switch things up and add a new twist to this dessert. Here are some variations that I’ve tried and love:
Cookies and Cream Mousse
If you’re a fan of cookies and cream, this variation is for you! Simply swap out the regular Oreo cookies for the Cookies and Cream Oreo cookies, and add a layer of whipped cream on top of the mousse layer. This adds an extra layer of creaminess and sweetness to the cake. Or make a mousse from two packages of Oreo Cookies ‘n Creme Instant Pudding and Pie Filling and spread it on the Oreo crust.
Oreo Mascarpone Mousse
For a more decadent and rich variation, try adding mascarpone cheese to the mousse layer. Simply use in 8—9 oz mascarpone cheese instead of cream cheese. This variation is perfect for those who love a creamy and indulgent dessert without the sourness of cream cheese.
Chocolate Mousse Cake
For a chocolate twist on the classic Oreo Mousse Cake, try making a chocolate mousse instead of the vanilla mousse. Simply swap out the vanilla extract for some cocoa powder, and add some chopped chocolate to the whipped cream and cream cheese mixture. This variation is perfect for chocolate lovers.
For a more sophisticated twist on the Oreo Mousse Cake, try making a tiramisu version. Replace the cream cheese in the mousse with mascarpone cheese and dip Golden Oreos in coffee before layering them in the cake.
Another version is to use ladyfingers soaked in coffee and layer them with a mixture of whipped cream, cream cheese, mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar, and crushed Golden Oreos. This variation is perfect for dinner parties or special occasions.
- For a twist on the classic Oreo flavor, try using milk chocolate or white chocolate instead of semisweet chocolate in the mousse.
- Use different varieties of Oreo cookies for your cake for delicious variations.
- For a fun presentation, use cake collars to create blocks of Oreo Mousse Cake. Simply cut strips of parchment paper or acetate and wrap them around the cake before chilling. Once the cake is set, remove the collars and slice into individual servings.
Overall, there are plenty of ways to switch up the classic Oreo Mousse Cake and add your own personal touch. Whether you’re a fan of chocolate, cookies and cream, or tiramisu, there’s a variation for everyone to enjoy.
While Oreos are a tasty treat, they are not exactly a health food. According to the nutrition facts on the package, each Oreo cookie contains 45 calories, 2 grams of fat, and 6 grams of sugar. However, if you’re looking for a sweet treat to indulge in every once in a while, an Oreo Mousse Cake is a scrumptious option.
If you have any leftover Oreos after making your mousse cake, don’t let them go to waste. Crush them up and use them as a topping for ice cream or yogurt. You can also use them as a crust for a no-bake cheesecake or as a mix-in for brownies or cookies. The possibilities are endless!
Oreos have a huge following on social media, with millions of fans on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. If you’re looking for inspiration for your next Oreo creation, check out some of the amazing recipes and photos shared by Oreo fans around the world. You might just find your new favorite dessert!
In conclusion, Oreos are a beloved treat that can be used in a variety of delicious desserts, including the decadent Oreo Mousse Cake. While they may not be the healthiest option, they are a fun and tasty indulgence that can be enjoyed in moderation.